Monday, January 10, 2011

Domestic Engineer


I have held many jobs, and the job that is the most challenging is that of the Domestic Engineer...as I'm typing I have a 21month old pressing buttons and screaming every time I scold him to stop. The job of the SAHM (Stay At Home Mom) never quite ends. Monday through Sunday I am required to maintain an optimistic outlook on my job, but realistically its really easy to get burned out. I have to ensure that my little on stays happy, healthy and clean. Three things that are a careful juggling act. Keeping him happy differs everyday, sometimes he wants to sit calmly and snuggle with me, (those are glory days), other days he wants to play outside ALL day and then there are some days when he just wants to DESTROY. I never really know what I am doing, I find its easiest to make it up as I go. I am always unsure if I'm doing the "right" thing and hope to God that all the sleepless nights, all the hard work and frustration pays off. But I never can be too sure. I look at the perfect example laid by my mother who had eight children, kept a clean house, and always had a smile on her face, she is like that creepy Stepford robot that most women hate. Thats the standard that I wish I could live up to, and know I never really will live up to for me as long as I keep my son's pulse consistent I feel like I am doing big things. I am uncertain if there is a specific definition of a Domestic Engineer...every woman has a different way in which they keep their house afloat and whatever it is kudos to you. I dont believe in criticizing someones method, because it works. I love the creativity that women have in dealing with children. Whether its making them wear diapers backwards, or inverting their shoes so they put their shoes on the "right" feet or rewarding them for not peeing in their pants, if it work kudos to you! I just wish there was more support, everyone is still figuring this parenting out. However you choose to do it. Good for you. I'm proud of you. Maybe one day our kids will appreciate and be proud of the hard work we've done.

No comments:

Post a Comment